Agriculture Program Field Intern
Term: 1 month, full time
Location: SunFarmer Nepal's office is in Lalitpur. However, aside from a 1-week training in Lalitpur this position requires significant travel outside the valley, primarily in Saptari District.
SunFarmer is a private company with a social mission to provide reliable and affordable solar energy for hospitals, schools, businesses, and farms. We have a laser focus on both maximizing impact and achieving financial sustainability. Our current focus is Nepal, with plans to expand globally.
SunFarmer has completed over 100 solar energy projects in Nepal. We work with customers to arrange affordable financing solutions, whereby customers pay for solar energy over time. We have also developed rigorous quality standards to guarantee that our systems are world class - and we include long term maintenance services to stand behind the quality of our projects.
Since the April 2015 earthquakes, we are also active in reconstruction of the health sector, empowering clinics and hospitals with solar to provide modern medical care to rural communities.
SunFarmer Nepal's Agriculture Program:
We are piloting a new model to make solar powered irrigation affordable for farmers in Nepal. Reliable access to water increases crop yields and farmer incomes. We are in the pilot stage for this program, and seek support in surveying farmers, promoting our product, collecting and synthesizing data, and performing technical surveys of prospective installation sites. The goal of these surveys and interview is to better understand farmers' needs and to vet prospective customers. Read more about our agriculture program here: http://www.sunfarmernepal.org/agriculture/
- Travel to SunFarmer's target districts, survey farmers to understand their needs
- Conduct basic technical surveys to determine viability of specific sites for solar water pumping
- Promote solar water pumping product at workshops and community meetings
- Willingness to travel frequently, often to remote locations
- Ability to proactively conduct surveys/interviews
- Familiarity with basic MS Office application
- Must speak Nepali
- Must be able to drive motorbike, have valid license, and be willing to drive to remote areas
TO APPLY : Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include:
1) The job you are applying for in the email subject line.
2) A cover letter and resume.
3) Answers to the following questions:
- What experience or qualities will make you successful while interacting with farmers in remote areas of Nepal?
- Please confirm that you can drive a motorbike, and describe what licenses you have.
- What is your availability for full-time work in August and September 2016?